Grooms and Riders


The Importance of Insurance as a Freelance Groom or Rider

Why do I need insurance?

It is no secret that working with horses can involve a high level of risk. Ensuring suitable Insurance cover is in place for you as a Freelance Groom or Rider will provide the protection you need in your everyday work. Working on a Freelance basis means you are your own boss. This has many benefits but it does also mean you are responsible for your own Insurance cover, which must meet your needs as a Freelance Groom or Rider and cover the activities you participate in.

Personal Accident

As a Freelance Groom or Rider, it differs from being employed because you are not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you are unable to work for a period of time due to illness or injury. This is because by working on a Freelance basis you are self-employed and therefore do not qualify for SSP as you do not have an employer responsible for this. Having appropriate Personal Accident cover in place would entitle you to a weekly benefit in the event that you are unable to work temporarily, designed to help replace lost income if you are forced to take time off work due to an injury or illness.

In the event of serious injury, Personal Accident cover would also provide a lump-sum benefit to the Policyholder. Click here to find details on the benefits available depending on the level of cover the Policyholder has taken out.

There are a range of cover options available designed to suit all levels and budgets. The cost of a policy depends on the level of cover selected and the activities you will be participating in but you could be looking at as little as £8/week for our most comprehensive cover.

The hands on nature of working with horses can mean it may be particularly difficult to continue working for a period of time after an accident, therefore ensuring you have adequate Personal Accident cover in place would help to assist you during the financial difficulties this may bring.

The Personal Accident policy does not just apply to injuries sustained at work, KBIS provide ‘all of life cover’ on a worldwide basis meaning you will be covered for much more than solely grooming or riding, it would also cover if you were in a car accident or were to fall down the stairs and sustain an injury this way. It will also cover the cost of dental work not covered by the NHS.

Public Liability

A Freelance Groom or Rider policy is made up of Public Liability and includes an extension for Care, Custody or Control (otherwise known as Custodial Liability).

The unpredictability of horses’ means there is no guarantee that whilst in your care they would not cause damage to a third party for which you may be found legally liable. Having sufficient Public Liability cover in place will cover you for any claims made against you in respect of damages to third party property or third party bodily injury.

For example, you may be hacking out a horse for a client when the horse spooks and kicks out at a passing car causing damage. If the driver of the car then attempts to sue you for the damages, the policy would protect you.

It is also important to note that even if you are working for an employer, their own Public Liability policy may not cover you as a Freelance worker as you may be considered a contractor rather than an employee. It is important to be aware of this and to have your own cover in place if this applies to you.

We use cookies on our websites to help improve your online experience with us. They will be stored locally on your computer or mobile device. To accept these cookies simply click Accept and continue browsing. Alternatively to learn more about how we use these cookies, please see our cookie policy or you can manage your preferences in your browser setting at any time.