Property insurance

When it comes to protecting your Property we appreciate that it is more than just buildings and their contents, it is your home and contains items of value and significance to you. We also understand that when it comes to equestrian properties there is so much more to consider and you want to have peace of mind that not only is your home protected but also that of your horse’s.

“From horse feed and barns to your most valued household possessions, we can cover it all under one policy.”

That is why at KBIS we offer bespoke Property insurance policies designed specifically with the equestrian property owner in mind. We can tailor a policy to cover the areas you are looking for, whether that is contents insurance, buildings insurance, insurance for all-weather schools, down to cover for your horse feed and tack. It can all be taken care of under one policy.

Our Property insurance covers both private residential properties and yards as well as commercial property insurance for equestrian businesses.

Yard Insurance
Get a Property insurance quote

Features & Documents

Property insurance – Request a quote

To request a quotation please complete an online proposal form or download a proposal form to send to us by post or email.

Complete a Proposal Form

You can complete an online proposal form which will be submitted directly to our office and a quotation will be emailed to you as soon as possible. 

    Contact Us

    Should you have any queries whilst completing the form or to discuss your requirements specifically, please contact our Property Team on 0345 230 23 23 and select option 4.

    View our office opening times

    Property Insurance – Cover Available

    A KBIS property insurance policy provides cover for the following main areas:

    • Residential buildings and contents insurance
    • All yard buildings, including stables and barns
    • Outdoor and indoor arenas
    • Horse walkers and equine pools
    • Farm machinery
    • Saddlery and tack
    • Hay, straw and feed.
    • Property Owner’s Liability

    If you are running a business from your property then you can also include cover for Consequential Loss, that is cover against loss of income as a result of being unable to carry out your normal business activities due to an insured peril such as fire or flooding.

    Property Insurance – Claim Forms

    Should you need to make a claim on your policy it is important that you notify KBIS as soon as possible.

    If you have cancellation/abandonment insurance it is important that you contact us as soon as you have concerns that the event may not be able to run so that we can discuss the situation in full.

    The following guide will help to ensure that you have complied with the terms of your policy with regards to claims notification. It is important to adhere to these conditions as failure to do so may prejudice your position with underwriters.

    1) Initial notification

    Contact KBIS as soon as possible. You can contact KBIS by:


    UK Telephone No: 0345 345 2323
    Outside UK: +44 (0) 1635 247474

    View our office opening times.


    2) Obtain a Claim form

    You can download a General Liability Claim Form above.

    If you have contacted our offices we can arrange for a form to be sent by post, including a free post envelope for the return of your form and documentation

    3) Collate all necessary information

    In order for us to process your claim in the most efficient manner it is important that we have all of the relevant documentation, as requested, to enable us and the underwriters to consider the claim in its entirety.

    4) Send the completed form and documentation to KBIS

    Please note that we are unable to give any indication whether a claim is likely to be paid without the completed claim form and invoices.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    If you are looking for insurance for a private residential property which has some stables then some standard household policies may extend cover to include your stables and barns under the section ‘Outbuildings’. However they are unlikely to provide cover for non standard buildings, arenas, horse walkers, machinery and hay and straw.

    If you run a business from your property, such as a livery yard, then a standard household policy would not be able to provide you with adequate cover. Using an equestrian specialist will not only ensure you can get sufficient cover but they will also understand your business needs and will be more knowledgeable of the industry and the risks to insure.

    Yes the policy will provide insurance for your home including contents insurance. Under the ‘contents’ section of the policy cover can be provided for everything from valuable jewellery and paintings to your clothing and personal effects, electronic equipment, personal money and credit cards, right down to the contents of your fridge or freezer!

    Any good insurer should be able to explain to you the cover options available and answer any questions you may have. However it is important that you relay relevant information as clearly as possible in order that your insurer has a good understanding of your requirements.

    The following questions are a good guidance as to the information you will need to provide:

    • Is the property private or commercial?
    • Construction details – describe the buildings correctly
    • What security do you have in place – are there bars on the windows of your tack room?
    • Do you have any alarm system in place?
    • Is hay or straw kept on the premises, if so where?

    When possible supplying pictures of buildings and the layout of the yard, will help the insurer to understand your requirements.

    Yes a KBIS equestrian property policy can include cover for farm machinery, as well as quad bikes, under the section entitled ‘Establishments Contents’.

    Under this section you can also include cover for your saddlery and tack and hay, straw and feed, items that you may not be able to cover under a standard household policy.

    Due to the flexibility of the policy and choice of cover options available there is no fixed cost and every quote is specific to the type of property and level of cover being requested.

    A number of factors will affect the cost of the policy but the most influencing factors will be the level of cover being taken out, the type of buildings, i.e. their construction and what they will be used for.

    The underwriters will look at each case, or on an as needed basis, to design a policy to suit the insured requirements.

    The cost of the policy is largely down to the construction of the building and what it is being used for. Buildings which are considered to be of standard construction, such as brick, block or stone, with a slate or tile roof are likely to be cheaper to insure than a timber building.

    In addition the use of a building can also increase your premium. For instance keeping hay and straw in a timber barn is going to attract a higher premium, so consider if there is another option and think about the layout of the buildings – if you have to keep your straw in a timber construction keep it isolated from any other timber building.

    Also think about the security measures you have in place, alarms on your home and tack room, metal bars on any tack room windows and use of security lighting.

    The lower the risk to the insurer the lower your premium should be.

    You can choose to pay for your policy by monthly direct debit which will help to spread the cost of the insurance, however there is likely to be an additional charge when opting to pay monthly.

    If you are a member of British Showjumping, British Eventing or British Dressage then you will be entitled on a discount on a property policy with KBIS. You can read more about membership savings here .

    The policy is designed to work on a reinstatement basis, that is to put you back in the same position as before the loss, so it is important to make sure the sums insured are adequate and that you’re not underinsured!

    It is also important to keep receipts for any large purchases as in an event of a claim you will need to provide proof of purchase.

    You may want to consider including insurance against business interruption, which covers you for loss of income during periods when you cannot carry out your normal business activities as usual due to an unexpected event. The cover is designed to put your business back in the same trading position as it was before the event occurred and would normally cover such incidents as damage caused to your premises or equipment from fire, storm or flooding.

    It is important to remember to advise your insurer of any change in circumstances during the policy period, such as the change in use of any buildings, buildings which have become unoccupied or any change to the business itself.


    Related Products

    Yard Insurance


    Horsebox Insurance