Point To Point Trainer insurance

KBIS can provide Point To Point Trainers with a comprehensive Liability insurance policy, including Employers’ Liability, Public Liability and Care, Custody or Control.

Each of our policies have been carefully designed to ensure that the cover meets your needs and specific extensions of cover are available, such as facility hire. Other business activities can also be covered either combined under one policy or on two separate policies.

We have a range of other insurance products to compliment our Liability policies such as Property insurance (buildings and contents), and Personal Accident insurance.

bloodstock insurance
Get a Point To Point Trainer insurance quote

Features & Documents

Request a Quote

To obtain a quote you can either complete an online proposal form or contact us by phone.

Complete an Online Proposal Form

You can complete an online proposal form which will be submitted directly to our office and a quotation will be emailed to you as soon as possible.

    Contact Us

    Call us on 0345 230 23 23 and select option 4.

    View our office opening times.

      Point To Point Trainer Association – Cover Available

      Public Liability

      Public liability covers you for any claims made against you in respect of third party property damage or third party injury. We offer a choice of limits from either £2,000,000 or £5,000,000 with an excess of £500 (third party property damage only).

      Care, Custody & Control

      Also referred to as Custodial Liability, this section provides cover should a horse, in your care, sustain an injury or die as a result of your negligence.
      Benefits are paid for veterinary fees or, in the event of the horse’s death, the current market value of the horse, up to the incident limit of £25,000 per horse, £100,000 during the policy period and an excess of £1,000 for each and every loss.

      Specific Extensions

      We can offer specific extensions to cover depending on your individual requirements, for example, extend your Public Liability cover to include riding other peoples horses at shows or teaching on your own horse. We are also able to include Employers Liability on our Instructors insurance, should you have any employees. Further to this, we are happy to approach our underwriters about any non-standard extensions to cover that you may need.

      Employers Liability

      You are required by law, under the Employers Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969, to hold a current Employers Liability policy for anyone employed by you, whether they are full time, part time, in training, paid or unpaid. It provides cover for any personal injury claims made against you by an employee during the course of their employment.
      The policy provides cover up to £10,000,000.
      Employers Liability cannot be taken out in isolation, only in conjunction with Public Liability.

      Claim Forms

      Should you need to make a claim on your policy it is important that you notify KBIS as soon as possible.

      The following guide will help to ensure that you have complied with the terms of your policy with regards to claims notification. It is important to adhere to these conditions as failure to do so may prejudice your position with underwriters.

      Initial notification

      If the claim is in relation to a commercial combined insurance policy then you should contact KBIS. If the claim is in relation to your vehicle insurance then you need to contact the underwriters, Equity Red Star (ERS), via their claims helpline


      KBIS UK Telephone No: 0345 345 2323
      Outside UK: +44 (0) 1635 247474

      View our office opening times here


      Equity Red Star Claims Helpline

      Accident/Loss – 0845 602 3370
      Windscreen – 0845 602 3376

      Obtain a Claim Form

      You can download both a Farriers Liability Claim Form and a Farriers Property Claim form above

      If you have contacted our offices we can arrange for a form to be sent by post, including a free post envelope for the return of your form and documentation

      Collate all necessary information

      In order for us to process your claim in the most efficient manner it is important that we have all of the relevant documentation, as requested, to enable us and the underwriters to consider the claim in its entirety.

      Send the completed claim for and documentation to KBIS

      Please note that we are unable to give any indication whether a claim is likely to be paid without the completed claim form and invoices.

      Frequently Asked questions

      The cover options available under liability policies are specific to each individual policy but the main areas include:

      Public Liability
      Covers against bodily injury to third parties and damage to third party property
      Employers Liability
      Cover against bodily injury to people employed by you or your business
      Custodial Liability (Care, Custody & Control)
      Cover against death/accidental injury to horses/ponies under your care, custody or control.

      The phrase ‘Limit of Indemnity’ is the insurer’s maximum liability in respect of any one event or series of events i.e. it is the total to which you are covered up to. In some cases you will be offered a choice of the limit of indemnity and in other instances the level of indemnity will be fixed.

      When offered a choice, for example Public Liability cover up to £1,000,000, £2,000,000 or £5,000,000 the higher limit of indemnity will mean that you will pay a slightly higher premium. In the event of a claim you will have to provide evidence in order to substantiate the amount to be claimed.

      Public Liability covers you against bodily injury to a third party or damage to a third parties property as a direct result of your negligence. Public Liability cover will normally be offered with a choice to the limit of indemnity. The scale of benefit will be outlined in the individual terms and conditions of the policy.

      Public Liability cover, although not law, is essential for any business, event /show, club, instructor or trainer and is often a requirement when taking out Employers Liability.

      Employers’ Liability provides cover for any bodily injury, sickness or disease sustained by your employees as a result of the business’s negligence.

      Employers’ Liability is a requirement by law under the Employers’ Liability Act 1969 and should be in place for anyone working on your behalf, whether full time, part time or in training.

      When taking out employers’ liability it is often a requirement to also take out public liability cover.

      You can find out more about employers laibility here – http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse40.pdf

      Custodial Liability insurance provides cover against the death and/or accidental injury to horses/ponies that are in your care, custody and control, such as full time liveries or working liveries, in respect to a claim that is made against you by the owner.

      A benefit will be paid for veterinary fees and/or the current market value, up to the limit of indemnity, in the event of an accident, sickness, disease or mortality of the horse.

      Most policies will offer a choice in the limit of indemnity per horse but up to up to a maximum limit of indemnity in the policy period.

      Yes our policies are designed, when possible, to offer you the flexibility to choose which areas you wish to take out and also provide extension of cover depending on your business requirements.

      In some policies certain cover is automatically provided where as in others it is offered as an additional extension to the cover. For example care, custody and control is automatically included in a riding establishment policy where as on a livery yard policy it is offered as an extension to cover – a DIY livery yard who isn’t handling client’s horses would not necessarily wish to take out this level of cover. Where as a livery yard offering full livery and therefore dealing with clients horses on a daily basis, care, custody and control would be a sensible option to consider.

      It is important when obtaining a quote to tell your insurer as much information as possible in order for them to gain a good understand of your business and insurance needs. Failure to specify certain information may lead to having inappropriate cover, may affect any claims against the policy or both.

      When phoning up make sure you have the following information easily to hand:

      • Main Business Activity
      • Number of Staff
      • Number of Horses
      • Wageroll
      • Any other business activities
      • What insurance you currently have in place

      KBIS, like all insurers, require that you comply with current Health and Safety guidelines as well as ensuring that you have appropriate risk assessments in place. Whilst we do not provide any risk management advice ourselves, the following two links may act as useful reference points and contain information on risk assessments and expected requirements, along with good practice advice for equestrian businesses:

      Health & Safety Executive

      Chartered Institute of Environmental Health Horse Riding Establishments & Livery Yard Guidance

      Liability claims are often a complex process and unlike in other claims procedures your insurance company will deal with the incident on your behalf. You will therefore need to forward any relevant documentation relating to the incident or solicitors letters onto you insurance company in order for them to defend your position in the event that you are not liable.

      In some cases a loss adjuster may be appointed by the underwriters to establish the exact cause of the loss.


      Related Products

      Bloodstock Insurance


      Horsebox Insurance


      Horsebox Breakdown