Personal Accident insurance

Having Personal Accident cover in place is essential for any rider.

A standalone Personal Accident insurance policy provides a more comprehensive level of protection than the cover typically found within a Horse insurance policy or association membership. KBIS’ policy covers the policyholder for accidents and illness which occur whilst riding and also for the unfortunate incidents which can happen at any time, such as falling down the stairs or suffering from a long-term debilitating illness.

“Receive a weekly benefit should you suffer an injury or illness which leaves you unable to work.”

The policy provides a number of benefits. Firstly, a lump-sum benefit designed to be used by the policyholder in the event of serious injury. Secondly, weekly benefits linked to income, which is designed to supplement the policyholder’s income should they be temporarily prevented from working. Finally, the policy provides cover for dental treatment not available on the NHS.

personal accident thumbnail
Get a Personal Accident quote

Features & Documents

Personal Accident Insurance – Eligibility

In order to take out a KBIS stand alone personal accident policy the following criteria needs to be met:

  • The policyholder must be between 16 and 75 years of age (this age limit does not apply to the temporary total disability benefits which have different limits).
  • Temporary total disability benefits available for policyholders above 16 years old.
  • Illness cover is only available for individuals between 16 and 65 years old.
  • The policyholder must be domiciled within the United Kingdom.
  • Certain occupations are excluded, a KBIS advisor will advise if there are any problems at the point you receive a quote.

Personal Accident Insurance – Cover Available

We offer three different levels of cover for those aged between 16 and 75 years.


24hrs not just whilst taking part in equestrianism


The maximum benefit payable under temporary total disablement is limited to 75% of the insured’s weekly salary.

The cost of a policy depends on the level of cover you choose to take out and the riding activities you will be participating in but you could be looking at as little as £8/week for our most comprehensive cover.

Personal Accident Insurance – Claim Forms

Should you need to make a claim on your policy it is important that you notify KBIS as soon as possible. This can either be done on the numbers below or you can complete the below form, additional documentation may be required. 


UK Telephone No: 0345 345 2323 press option 4
Outside UK: +44 (0) 1635 247474 press option 4

View our office opening times


Make A Claim:

Complete a Personal Accident Claim Form

Frequently Asked Questions

No, the cover provided on your horse insurance policy is specifically related to the horse named on the policy. That means you would only be covered if the accident occurred when you were riding or handling the insured horse.

A stand alone personal accident policy relates to the policyholder. This means you will be covered for riding/handling any horse for the level of activities to which you specified cover and to which is noted on your certificate of insurance.

In addition the KBIS stand alone personal accident policy provides ‘all of life’ cover so you are covered for much more than horse riding. The policy also includes cover for temporary total disablement, which pays a weekly benefits should the injury or illness prevent you from being able to carry out your normal occupation.

The cost of the policy will depend on the level of cover you choose to take out and the riding activities you will be participating in but you could be looking at as little as £8/week.

No the KBIS policy provides ‘all of life’ cover, this means you will be covered for an accident or illness which occurs outside of your horse riding activities.

There are noted exclusions on the policy, when cover is not provided, however these will be clearly stated on your policy terms and conditions.

Yes the KBIS policy provides world wide cover 24/7! However, the policy does not include cover for repatriation (getting you home after an injury) or medical expenses.

Dental care will cover the cost of all necessary dental treatment, up to the limit of indemnity, following the loss of or damage to, your teeth as a result of an accident. Cover will include the provision or repair of Dentures, but it will not cover the cost of making good faulty workmanship or design of Dentures.

Temporarily total disablement (TTD) pays out a weekly benefit should an injury or illness leave you temporarily unable to carry out your normal occupation/business. TTD is the most claimed upon benefit on a personal accident policy and is essential cover to have in place, particulary so for anyone who is self employed and will therefore not receive any statutory sick pay.

The weekly benefit received under TTD cover, will help towards the running costs of your business while you are unable to work such as additional expenses you may incur, including having to take on temporary help.

There are lots of insurance companies which provide personal accident insurance but when approaching a non equine insurer make sure you are very clear about the horse riding activities you will be participating as not all insurers will provide adequate cover.


Related Products



Freelance Rider


Horsebox Insurance