Riding School Insurance

KBIS can provide comprehensive Riding School insurance policies with cover including Employers’ Liability, Public Liability, Care, Custody or Control, Cover for Facility Hire, Cover for up to 5 Shows and Pony Parties (when held on the property).

Each of our policies are carefully designed to ensure the cover meets the needs of the business and when required, specific extensions of cover are available, such as products liability or cover for other business activities.

We have a range of other insurance products to compliment our liability policies such as Property Insurance (buildings and contents), Personal Accident Insurance and our specialist insurance for shows and events.

riding instructor
Get A Riding School Insurance Quote

Features & Documents

Request a Quote

To obtain a quote you can either complete an online proposal form or contact us by phone.

Complete a Proposal Form

You can complete an online proposal form which will be submitted directly to our office and a quotation will be emailed to you as soon as possible. Alternatively, there is a PDF copy avaliable for you to download and complete.

    Contact Us

    Call us on 0345 230 23 23 and select option 4.

    View our office opening times.

      Riding Instructors Insurance – Cover Available

      Public Liability

      Public liability covers you for any claims made against you in respect of third party property damage or third party injury. We offer a choice of limits from either £1,000,000, £2,000,000, or £5,000,000 with an excess of £500 (third party property damage only).

      Care, Custody & Control

      Also referred to as Custodial Liability, this section provides cover should a horse, in your care, sustain an injury or die as a result of your negligence.
      Benefits are paid for veterinary fees or, in the event of the horse’s death, the current market value of the horse, up to the incident limit of £10,000 per horse, £100,000 during the policy period and an excess of £500 for each and every loss.

      Specific Extensions

      We can offer specific extensions to cover depending on your individual requirements, for example, extend your Public Liability cover to include riding other peoples horses at shows or teaching on your own horse. We are also able to include Employers Liability on our Instructors insurance, should you have any employees. Further to this, we are happy to approach our underwriters about any non-standard extensions to cover that you may need.

      Employers Liability

      You are required by law, under the Employers Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969, to hold a current Employers Liability policy for anyone employed by you, whether they are full time, part time, in training, paid or unpaid. It provides cover for any personal injury claims made against you by an employee during the course of their employment.
      The policy provides cover up to £10,000,000.
      Employers Liability cannot be taken out in isolation, only in conjunction with Public Liability.

      Riding School Insurance – Policy Documents

      Proposal Forms

      The proposal form can be complted online or downloaded and completed in full if you require a quotation or should you wish to take out cover following a quotation you have already received.

      Terms and Conditions

      The Terms and Conditions outline the full details of cover available under a KBIS Liability Policy.

      Please note, the Terms and Conditions specific to the cover you hold will be sent out with your certificate of insurance.

      Policies taken out on or after 01/02/2022

      Policies taken out between 01/01/2021 and 31/01/2022

        Insurance Product Information Document (IPID)

        The IPID outlines the significant features, benefits, exclusions and limitations of the KBIS Liability Insurance Policy. They do not contain the full Terms and Conditions.

        Policies taken out on or after 01/02/2022

        Policies taken out between 01/01/2021 and 31/01/2022


        If your policy started before the dates above, then please visit our archive page to view the relevant Key Facts, IPID and Terms and Conditions.

        Riding School Insurance – Claim Forms

        General Liability Claim Form

        Should you need to make a claim on your policy it is important that you notify KBIS as soon as possible.

        The following guide will help to ensure that you have complied with the terms of your policy with regards to claims notification. It is important to adhere to these conditions as failure to do so may prejudice your position with underwriters.

        1) Initial notification

        Contact KBIS as soon as possible. You can contact KBIS by:


        UK Telephone No: 0345 345 2323
        Outside UK: +44 (0) 1635 247474

        View our office opening times.


        2) Obtain a Claim form

        You can download a General Liability Claim Form above.

        If you have contacted our offices we can arrange for a form to be sent by post, including a free post envelope for the return of your form and documentation

        3) Collate all necessary information

        In order for us to process your claim in the most efficient manner it is important that we have all of the relevant documentation, as requested, to enable us and the underwriters to consider the claim in its entirety.

        4) Send the completed form and documentation to KBIS

        Please note that we are unable to give any indication whether a claim is likely to be paid without the completed claim form and invoices.

        Frequently Asked Questions

        What liability cover is available?

        The cover options available under liability policies are specific to each individual policy but the main areas include:

        Public Liability
        Covers against bodily injury to third parties and damage to third party property
        Employers Liability
        Cover against bodily injury to people employed by you or your business
        Custodial Liability (Care, Custody & Control)
        Cover against death/accidental injury to horses/ponies under your care, custody or control.

        What does limit of indemnity refer to?

        The phrase ‘Limit of Indemnity’ is the insurer’s maximum liability in respect of any one event or series of events i.e. it is the total to which you are covered up to. In some cases you will be offered a choice of the limit of indemnity and in other instances the level of indemnity will be fixed.

        When offered a choice, for example Public Liability cover up to £1,000,000, £2,000,000 or £5,000,000 the higher limit of indemnity will mean that you will pay a slightly higher premium. In the event of a claim you will have to provide evidence in order to substantiate the amount to be claimed.

        What is Public Liability?

        Public Liability covers you against bodily injury to a third party or damage to a third parties property as a direct result of your negligence. Public Liability cover will normally be offered with a choice to the limit of indemnity. The scale of benefit will be outlined in the individual terms and conditions of the policy.

        Public Liability cover, although not law, is essential for any business, event /show, club, instructor or trainer and is often a requirement when taking out Employers Liability.

        What is Employers Liability?

        Employers’ Liability provides cover for any bodily injury, sickness or disease sustained by your employees as a result of the business’s negligence.

        Employers’ Liability is a requirement by law under the Employers’ Liability Act 1969 and should be in place for anyone working on your behalf, whether full time, part time or in training.

        When taking out employers’ liability it is often a requirement to also take out public liability cover.

        You can find out more about employers laibility here – http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse40.pdf

        What is Custodial Liability (Care, Custody or Control) Insurance?

        Custodial Liability insurance provides cover against the death and/or accidental injury to horses/ponies that are in your care, custody and control, such as full time liveries or working liveries, in respect to a claim that is made against you by the owner.

        A benefit will be paid for veterinary fees and/or the current market value, up to the limit of indemnity, in the event of an accident, sickness, disease or mortality of the horse.

        Most policies will offer a choice in the limit of indemnity per horse but up to up to a maximum limit of indemnity in the policy period.

        Can you tailor a policy for my specific business needs?

        Yes our policies are designed, when possible, to offer you the flexibility to choose which areas you wish to take out and also provide extension of cover depending on your business requirements.

        In some policies certain cover is automatically provided where as in others it is offered as an additional extension to the cover. For example care, custody and control is automatically included in a riding establishment policy where as on a livery yard policy it is offered as an extension to cover – a DIY livery yard who isn’t handling client’s horses would not necessarily wish to take out this level of cover. Where as a livery yard offering full livery and therefore dealing with clients horses on a daily basis, care, custody and control would be a sensible option to consider.

        What information will I need to relay to insurers?

        It is important when obtaining a quote to tell your insurer as much information as possible in order for them to gain a good understand of your business and insurance needs. Failure to specify certain information may lead to having inappropriate cover, may affect any claims against the policy or both.

        When phoning up make sure you have the following information easily to hand:

        • Main Business Activity
        • Number of Staff
        • Number of Horses
        • Wageroll
        • Any other business activities
        • What insurance you currently have in place
        What about Health and Safety and Risk Assessments?

        KBIS, like all insurers, require that you comply with current Health and Safety guidelines as well as ensuring that you have appropriate risk assessments in place. Whilst we do not provide any risk management advice ourselves, the following two links may act as useful reference points and contain information on risk assessments and expected requirements, along with good practice advice for equestrian businesses:

        Health & Safety Executive

        Chartered Institute of Environmental Health Horse Riding Establishments & Livery Yard Guidance

        What happens in the event of a Claim?

        Liability claims are often a complex process and unlike in other claims procedures your insurance company will deal with the incident on your behalf. You will therefore need to forward any relevant documentation relating to the incident or solicitors letters onto you insurance company in order for them to defend your position in the event that you are not liable.

        In some cases a loss adjuster may be appointed by the underwriters to establish the exact cause of the loss.

        What Our Clients Say

        Related Products





        Business & Organisation