Call us for a quote on 0345 230 2323

Trailer Insurance - FAQ

Trailer Insurance - FAQ

 What cover is available?

KBIS trailer insurance is designed for private individuals who wish to cover their trailer against loss through accidental damage or theft. The policy provides this cover for social, domestic and pleasure use only.

If you require cover for using your trailer in connection with your business, or transporting other people’s horses and charging a specific fee for doing so, then you will need to contact our offices directly on 0345 230 2323, for us to provide you with a quotation.

 Can you cover the towing vehicle?

Unfortunately we are unable to provide motor insurance for the towing vehicle.

However if you take out additional breakdown cover for your trailer then breakdown cover for the towing vehicle would be included. To find out further information on the cover we can provide take a look at our Breakdown Insurance page.

 What information will I need to provide?

In order to obtain a quote you will need to provide the following information:

Make and model of the trailer
Market value of the trailer
Amount you wish to insure the trailer for.
Any previous claims on insurance in respect of any trailer for loss or damage. If you have had a previous claim then you will need to provide full details of the claim including the total claimed.

Should you wish to take out cover then you will need to complete a proposal form and provide the following additional information

Chassis No
Year of manufacture
Security details
Where the vehicle is usually kept

 Can I take my trailer abroad?

A KBIS policy will cover you while temporarily abroad for a maximum of 60 days in total during the period of insurance (One year).

 Can I get breakdown cover with my insurance?

We can provide a separate stand-alone breakdown policy for your trailer. This policy will include cover for the towing vehicle and provide you with both home and roadside service, recovery service and emergency travel and accommodation. To find out further information on the cover we can provide take a look at our Breakdown Insurance page.

 What do I do in the event of a claim?

It is vital to contact your insurance company as soon as possible in the event of a claim.

If you have a KBIS Trailer policy then you can visit our trailer claim form page to obtain a claim form and read about our claims procedure.

 Do I need to have any security measures in place?

It is a condition of the policy that the trailer must be immobilised when not in use, unless the trailer is in a totally enclosed and secure building, with all windows securely locked and all doors locked with deadlocks. The trailer can be immobilised with a wheel clamp or hitch lock.