Call us for a quote on 0345 230 2323

Sports Horse Insurance - FAQ

Sports Horse Insurance - FAQ

 Will the policy provide cover if my horse is going abroad?

The KBIS sports horse policy includes cover for Western Europe. As long as you, as the policyholder, are resident within the UK then the insured horse is covered for training/competing in these countries without any time limitation. If your horse is going further afield, then you will need to contact KBIS to advise of the length of stay and the country the horse will be competing in. We can approach underwriters to extend the cover. An additional premium will need to be charged for the extended cover.

 Can I take out a short-term policy?

Our sports horse policy is a 12-month policy but it is possible to cancel the insurance policy on a short rate basis, the full details of which are outlined in the policy terms and conditions. As an example if you choose to cancel your policy after 4 months on cover you will only receive a return premium equivalent to 50% of the full annual premium, assuming that you paid for your policy in full.

Policies that have been taken out to cover a specific risk are not refundable after the event.

In addition if any claim has been settled on the policy then there would be no return in premium.

 Does the policy include transit cover?

Yes the policy will automatically include transit cover, including aviation, when the insured horse is travelling to a country within Western Europe. Additional transit can be arrange if the horse is going further afield, such as America, subject to underwriters prior agreement and terms. You will need to contact KBIS as soon as possible to extend the cover, ideally two weeks prior to departure although cover can normally be arranged at shorter notice.

 What is Permanent Loss of Use insurance and what happens in the event of a claim?

Permanent Loss of Use insurance is designed to cover you should the insured horse sustain an injury or illness which leaves them permanently incapable of performing the task for which they were insured. You can choose between two different levels of cover, the most comprehensive cover is permanent loss of use due to an accident, sickness or disease. There is a cheaper cover option, permanent loss of use due to an accidental, external, violent injury only i.e. involving an external wound, but it is much more limited cover.

Permanent loss of use claims can often be lengthy as in most cases the condition will need to be given adequate time to respond to treatment. We will normally appoint a veterinary advisor to review and discuss the case with your own vet. In some cases the horse may require more time to recover then is available within the policy period, in a situation as this we will always look at options available including extending the policy to give every chance of the horse making a full recovery.

Once a loss of use claim has been agreed you will be given the choice of either having the horse humanely destroyed or keeping the horse in retirement. If the latter option is chosen then the payment you receive will be reduced by a minimum of 10% or the residual value, whichever is greater.

 What happens if my horse has to be put to sleep?

Having to have a horse put to sleep is always a distressing time, however due to the varying circumstances which can arise and lead to such a situation it is difficult to state a definitive answer. We do however have guidelines, which if followed should help to avoid further distress.

As a guide the British Equine Veterinary Association (BEVA) considers a horse to satisfy a claim under mortality insurance in the following circumstances:

“That the insured horse sustains an injury or manifests an illness or disease that is so severe as to warrant immediate destruction to relieve incurable and excessive pain and that no other options of treatment are available to that horse at that time. Where a horse is exhibiting signs of sever and unremitting pain that can no longer be managed so that no other options are available for treatment, then it is the veterinary surgeon’s responsibility to destroy the horse immediately.”

In all other cases it is important that you contact KBIS in order for us to give our prior agreement to the horse being put to sleep. It is common practice for an insurer to appoint a consulting veterinary surgeon in such cases.

A post mortem will be required unless a prior agreement with KBIS has been otherwise made. Where we have not requested a post mortem the attending vet will have to positively identify the horse and confirm it has been destroyed.